Converting a property to an HMO

If you own, or are thinking of buying, a property and are proposing to convert it to an HMO you should consider whether it requires planning permission.

Under the Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) Order 1987, shared houses with three or more occupiers or properties converted into flats or bedsits need individual planning consent. For further information please contact Torfaen's Planning team on 01495 762200 or email

You may also need building regulations approval and you will need to seek advice from Torfaen's Building Control team on 01495 762200 or email

If the HMO is licensable you will still need to apply for an HMO licence.

Last Modified: 05/12/2018
For more information contact:

Public Health Team

Tel: 01633 647295


Back to top