LEADER is a method used for rural development on a local level focussing on 7 key principles of innovation, piloting of new approaches, networking, and bottom-up community working.
In order to be eligible to apply for financial support and to deliver LEADER activity under the RDP for Wales 2014-2020, the Rural Development Team was required to submit an updated Local Development Strategy (LDS) on behalf of Torfaen’s Local Action Group, CreaTe.
Through stakeholder engagement with local communities and consultation with CreaTe, the strategy was updated and five key themes and objectives were identified:
- Enhancing the Local Environment - Broaden the understanding of opportunities to create a sustainable local environment through protecting and enhancing the natural landscape.
- Developing Local Produce - To build a locally based, sustainable food industry, through creating opportunities in production, processing and distribution of locally grown food.
- Promoting Tourism - Increase the visitor offer through the co-ordination of tourism related activities.
- Encouraging Enterprise - Create opportunities to develop sustainable enterprises by encouraging networking, training and mentoring.
- Community Action - To achieve self sufficient rural community leadership, which is well supported and skilful in championing the rural interests in Torfaen.
The Rural Development Team also requested the inclusion of two additional wards in order to extend the eligible area and number of communities in Torfaen which could benefit from RDP funding. In June 2014 the application was approved by Welsh Government.
There are 9 eligible rural wards in Torfaen:
- Llanyrafon South
- Two Locks & Henllys
- Upper Cwmbran
A Map of Torfaen’s Rural Wards can be downloaded here.
Last Modified: 29/01/2020
Back to top