Well Being of Future Generations Act - Building a sustainable future for Torfaen
The Well-being of Future Generations Act 2015 requires public bodies such as the council to carry out sustainable development - the process of improving the economic, social, environmental and cultural wellbeing of Wales.
Each year, the council is required to publish a well-being statement which demonstrates how it is applying sustainable development in its decision making by:
- Looking to the long term so it does do not compromise the ability of future generations to meet their needs;
- Taking an integrated approach so it looks at all the wellbeing goals in deciding our wellbeing objectives;
- Involving a diversity of the population in the decisions that affect them;
- Working with others in a collaborative way to find shared sustainable solutions; and
- Understanding the root causes of issues to prevent them from occurring.
Through publishing an annual well-being statement, the council must set and explain its well-being objectives. The well-being objectives must be designed to maximise the council’s contribution to achieving each of the seven well-being goals for Wales.
- A prosperous Wales
- A resilient Wales
- A healthier Wales
- A more equal Wales
- A Wales of cohesive communities
- A Wales of vibrant culture and thriving Welsh language
- A globally responsible Wales
In addition to this legislation, we still need to meet the requirements of the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2009 by publishing a forward facing improvement plan at the start of each financial year, setting out our short term improvement objectives for the financial year ahead.
This document combines our statutory requirements and meets our statutory publishing duties under both the Well-being of Future Generations Act 2015 and the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2009.
To ensure the council focuses on improving the areas that matter most to Torfaen citizens, its annual improvement plan and well-being objectives are linked to the three priorities in its corporate plan (CP3).
The following documents are available to download:
Last Modified: 28/03/2020
Back to top