COVID 19 - Coronavirus
COVID-19 is a new illness that can affect your lungs and airways. It's caused by a virus called coronavirus.
Advice about the Coronavirus is being updated daily by Government. Anyone with concerns should read the available information on the following websites:
The situation continues to be very dynamic, but our advice remains to keep visiting the Public Health Wales website for the very latest information and stay at home guidance for people with confirmed or possible Coronavirus (COVID-19) infection.
Help us fight coronavirus by reporting your health daily, even if you feel well, on the Welsh Government Coronavirus symptom tracker app. The app is available to download from the Apple Store, Google Play Store and from the links at covid.joinzoe.com
A Statement from Torfaen Council Leader, Cllr Anthony Hunt on the COVID-19 pandemic is available here.
Torfaen Council is now working as part of the Gwent Local Resilience Forum (GLRF) as part of a wider Government, Welsh Government and NHS strategy in response to COVID-19. Find out more about the Multi-agency arrangements here.
Changes to Council Services
Any disruption to council services as a result of Coronavirus (COVID-19) will be updated here as necessary. Select the relevant section below for more details:
As buildings/facilities close, we will keep you updated below:
Other local services and organisations
We will try to keep you updated on changes to other local services and organisations as we are informed, however the best source of information is the organisation directly.
Torfaen Community Support
The Torfaen Community Support App is part of the council’s response to the Government’s Shielding Scheme to protect the most vulnerable residents including those instructed to stay in isolation. Both volunteers and those that need support can apply to participate in the scheme by providing some basic information, which will be securely stored and managed.
Residents who sign up to the app for support will be able to make requests for:
- Collection of medication
- Shopping for food and other essentials
- The free food parcels being offered to the most vulnerable
- Someone to chat with to help counter isolation and loneliness
Find out more about Torfaen Community Support here.
A number of grants are available to help with the impact of COVID-19. You can view a list of grants to help with the impact of COVID-19 here.
We’ve created five posters which can be downloaded and coloured in to thank key workers, partners and volunteers. Display your work of art proudly in your window(s) and share them with us on social media. You can find the Posters here.
Your support is vital
What the Government has asked us all to do in the last 7 days to #flattenthecurve...
- People are being advised to stay at home for 14 days if they, or anyone in their household, has either a high temperature or a new and continuous cough
- Everyone to stay at home unless they need to get essential supplies such as food and medicines
- All those able to work from home to do so, unless their work is essential
- Only travel if absolutely necessary - while public transport won’t stop, this should only be used for essential travel to travel to and from work for key workers
- Close pubs, clubs, cafes, restaurants, leisure facilities, theatres and social venues
- People over 70 and other at-risk groups should be largely shielded from social contact for 12 weeks as they are most likely to become severely unwell and hospitalised
Reduce the risk of catching and spreading #ProtecttheNHS #Protectyourselfprotectothers
Protect our vulnerable family, friends and neighbours #Protectthevulnerable
Last Modified: 29/04/2020
Back to top