Household Waste Recycling Centre

The Household Waste Recycling Centre provides facilities for the disposal of a range of recyclable materials and waste. These facilities are free of charge to all residents for general household and garden waste. If you are visiting the site with a van or trailer you must obtain a FREE van permit.

What can be recycled at the site? 

  • Paper, cardboard, glass, cans and tins, clothing, shoes, textiles, plastic bottles, ferrous and non ferrous metal waste, wood, car batteries, white goods and fridges, large domestic appliances and small domestic appliances (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment). 
  • Grass, hedge and tree cuttings are also accepted for composting. 
  • We also collect items such as bicycles that can be reused.
  • Rubble and hardcore are also accepted for reuse, though limited to small household quantities (this material must be bagged).

Please keep all these waste streams clean and separated.

What other materials are accepted?

Paint, thinners, used car oil, chemical treatments and tyres are also accepted. Please note - these materials need to be disposed of safely, please telephone the council for more information on how to use these facilities.


If you are considering dismantling a structure that you believe contains asbestos, in the first instance please contact the Food and Health Safety enforcement team on 01633 647623, or for further advice please visit the Health and Safety Executive website.

Alternatively if you wish to dispose of small amounts of asbestos at the Household Waste Recycling Centre you must contact Call Torfaen on 01495 762200.

What cannot be recycled at the site?

Japanese Knotweed and Himalayan Balsam are not accepted at the Household Waste Recycling Centre.

DIY/Renovation Waste

DIY/renovation waste is not permitted into the HWRC in any type of vehicle (van, trailer or car). If you want to deposit this type of waste you should:

  • Obtain a skip
  • Pay the weighbridge costs to Viridor at the HWRC. Residents should contact Viridor on 01495 755890 regarding charges
  • Use a private company which is an authorised waste carrier. The company must provide you with a waste transfer note which states where the waste is going for disposal.

DIY waste is defined as the waste produced as a result of a major renovation or DIY project to your property.

Examples of such projects include – renewing your bathroom suite or kitchen, digging up your garden to lay a patio, knocking down internal walls or chimney breasts. This is not an exhaustive list. If you have any queries, please contact a member of the waste team before attending the site.

Can I dispose of commercial and trade waste at the Household Waste Recycling Centre?

Yes, but there is a charge. For details phone 01495 755890.

I don't have transport but have bulky waste to get rid of, what can I do?

Torfaen County Borough Council operates a Bulky Collection Service for larger items of household waste such as furniture and white goods. For details of items collected and associated charges visit the Bulky Household Collection Servicepage.

Location and Opening Times

Household Waste Recycling Centre, Panteg Way, New Inn. 

Mon-Sat  -  7.30am to 6.00pm
Sun  -  9.00am to 6.00pm

The site is open every day except Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day.


For more information contact:

Call Torfaen

Tel: 01495 762200



Back to top
A-Z Services
© Copyright  2015 Torfaen County Borough Council